Before you rent, or even if you already are renting, become familiar with your rights and the resources available to assist you.

Research your Apartment

You can research your new apartment or an apartment you are interested in to get a comprehensive background report on the property owner, property, landlords and property managers. We recommend these three tools:

RentSmart Boston is a free resource that compiles data from BOS:311 and the City’s Inspectional Services Division to give prospective tenants a more complete picture of the apartments they are considering renting. The tool prompts users for an address and generates a report to assist prospective tenants in understanding any previous issues with the property, including:

    • Housing violations
    • Building violations
    • Enforcement violations
    • Housing complaints
    • Sanitation requests and/or
    • Civic maintenance requests

Find out if your apartment is a “Problem Property”. The City of Boston maintains a list of problem properties which you can view here. How does a property become a “problem property”? The Problem Property Task Force looks into details such as:

    • Outstanding violations related to the building, housing, and sanitary codes
    • The number of calls to the City’s public safety agencies, and
    • City incident reports written about the property over the past 12 months.

      A property stays on the list until its owner addresses the outstanding issues.

MySmart Renter is a paid resource (approx $35/report) that provides a comprehensive background report on owners, landlords and property managers of any property you’re considering leasing/renting. Give yourself peace of mind at a fraction of what you could potentially lose in a scam or dealing with a negligent landlord.

ReviewMyLandlord is a free resource that allows you to read reviews and write your own on a landlord and property.



Tenant’s Issues

Inspectional Services Department Protects and improves the quality of life for all Boston residents by enforcing building, housing, health, sanitation and safety regulations mandated by the City. 617-635-5322

Consumer Affairs – College Student Tenant Guide

Tenant’s Guide to Eviction

Office of Housing Stability – Provides advice, information and assistance to Boston landlords and tenants who have problems or questions about rental housing. “The Good Neighbors Handbook”, designed to help landlords and tenants understand and comply with the complex landlord/tenant laws can be found here.  Call for urgent matters 617-635-4200 or send non-urgent inquiries to [email protected]

Top 10 Things for Student Renters to Know (City of Boston) Flyer


Legal Resources

Attorney General – View the AGO’s Guide for Student Renter’s (617) 727-2200

Boston Bar Lawyer Referral Service – Boston Bar Lawyer Referral Service is a convenient resource that gives you 24/7 access to panels of qualified lawyers, where you can compare attorney profiles, filter by geographic region, topic of legal need, and get matched with an appropriate lawyer. (617)-742-0625, E-mail: [email protected] 

Greater Boston Legal Services provides free legal assistance and representation on civil (noncriminal) matters to low-income residents in the city of Boston and 31 surrounding cities and towns. (617) 371-1234

Lawyers for Affordable Justice – Lawyers for Affordable Justice is collaborative legal incubator providing Boston residents with affordable legal assistance.We specialize in immigration, small business, employment, and landlord tenant issues. (857) 277-1963

MA Bar Association Lawyer Referral Program – The Dial-A-Lawyer program encourages members of the public to call with their legal problems and questions. This program was created in order to assist the people of Massachusetts that have fallen through the cracks of the legal and criminal justice system. On the first Wednesday of each month, volunteer attorneys give free, basic legal information by phone from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dial-a-Lawyer Program: (617) 338-0610 or toll-free (877) 686-0711

MA Legal Answers Online – Mass Legal Answers Online is a website where low income Massachusetts residents can post their civil (non criminal) legal question. Volunteer attorneys will answer the question through the same website

MA Legal Help – Provides information about tenants’ rights in Massachusetts. You will find self-help forms, sample letters, booklets, handbooks, and frequently asked questions.

Small Claims Court – Learn more about how to file, what to do if you receive a summons, and how to prepare for your court date. (617) 788-8485

Small Claims Advisory Service (SCAS)- Information about Massachusetts small claims court, relevant laws for case resolution, and contact information to receive further help from SCAS staff.

Suffolk University Law School : Are You Being Discriminated Against? – Intake Line: (617) 884-7568

Volunteer Lawyers Project – Monday-Friday, 9am-12pm, 603-1700


Resources for Cities Surrounding Boston

Health Department

E-mail: Dr. Swannie Jett, DrPH, MSc, Director of Health and Human Services
11 Pierce Street, Brookline, MA 02445
(617) 730-2300

CambridgeSubmit a Service Request
Inspectional ServicesHousing Inspections

831 Massachusetts Ave., 1st Floor, Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: 617-349-6100

Malden –  City of Malden 311 – Submit a Service Request
Board of Health,  Email: [email protected]
110 Pleasant Street, Malden, MA 02148
Phone: (781) 397-7049

QuincyConstituent Services and Service Requests
Good Neighbor Tips
Inspectional Services, Jay Duca, Email: [email protected]
55 Sea St., Quincy, MA 02171
(617) 376-1450

SomervilleSubmit a Service Request
Goran Smiljic, Superintendent of Inspectional Services, Email: [email protected]
1 Franey St., Somerville MA 02145
(617) 625-6600 ext 5600